DIETETICS & NUTRITION
The department of Dietetics and Nutrition services at Kothari Medical Centre is progressive & fully committed to provide the highest quality nutritional care, leading edge nutrition practice, food service & education, innovative business developmental process flow – to patients and staff. The department addresses today’s complex nutrition and health issues found across the country and abroad to enhance the quality of life for people and communities.
Kothari, like many leading healthcare institutions, believes that diet plays a major role in the promotion of health and well being of an individual. The Department provides & promotes optimal nutritional care & food services to the hospital, and community in:
- Clinical Nutrition
- Food service management
- Research (Case Study) & Education
- Kothari strives to attain the highest quality of care & service through effective & efficient management of resources, systems & changes
- Kothari provides & ensure maintenance of a safe work environment
- Kothari believes that respecting each other is an important part of teamwork and encourages open communication, creativity & participation
- Kothari is committed to the development of skill & knowledge of all concerned and supports education in the community
- Kothari encourages the realization of professional & personal goals
- Clinical Nutrition
- Education & research
- Patient services
- Community programs
- Clinical dieticians are specialists in assessing & addressing nutritional needs of patients with complex health conditions.
- The department of Dietetics & Nutrition offers nutritional assessment and dietary advice to patients who are under the care of Kothari Medical Centre.
- The aim of the department is to promote health, prevent disease and aid in the management of illness.
- The team ensures optimum nutrition for all patients undergoing or recovering various treatments. Dietary intervention in people can improve tolerance to various medical procedures in addition to improving quality of life.
- This facility is available to all patients in OPD and IPD.
- Clinical Nutritionists assess the nutritional status of patients, calculate individual nutritional requirements & educate families on special & health promoting diets or nutritional support
- The department of Dietetics & Nutrition provides outpatient nutrition services within the hospital campus
- Nutrition experts from the department aid the general public with management of specific dietary needs in many different areas, including cardiac care, diabetes & childhood and adult obesity
- The department also provides nutritional care and advice about lifestyle management often through classes
- Good nutrition is a key component of recovering from surgery or illness
- The Department of Dietetics & Nutrition provides nutritional care, advice and education to patients while they are in the hospital and even after they are discharged
- Dieticians work with the medical team providing valuable information regarding appropriate nutrition care to the patients. They also educate patients in nutrient modifications done
- Nutrition and food service staff help patients select their daily menus and deliver meals to the bed side
Education and Research (Case Study):
- The department is dedicated to the education of nutritionist students and dietetic interns.
Dieticians and Interns collaborate with other health care Professionals in organizing and conducting nutrition research
- Self directed and inter professional learning opportunities are available through dietetic internship, undergraduate student placements
Patient Food Services:
- This is one of the most important aspects of food system which includes food service management, nutrition communication and food production
- Several partnerships with agencies and organizations have enabled the department to become involved at a community level
Types of Diet offered by us
- Regular or normal diet
- Liquid diet
- Soft diet
- Restricted diet
- Therapeutic diet
- Diabetic diet
- Renal diet
- Bland diet
- Others (As advised by the Clinical Consultant Doctor)