The Department of Laboratory Medicine at Kothari Medical Centre is equipped with the best instruments, manned by experienced technicians for comprehensive diagnostic support to their clinical counterparts, and adopting a patient-centric approach. Laboratory Medicine works to diagnose diseases, evaluate the effectiveness of treatment and research on the causes and cures of diseases.
The Department of Clinical Pathology is responsible for quantitative and qualitative analysis and interpretation of patient specimens, including tissue, blood, urine, and other body fluids.
- A team of qualified and experienced laboratory faculty and trained laboratory technicians work round-the-clock to ensure quality laboratory report with the shortest possible turnaround time.
- Apart from routine investigations, the Kothari Laboratory emphasizes on super speciality pathology for sub-branches such as Immunopathology, Nephropathology, Oncopathology, GI Pathology, Haematopathology, Infection Control, and Specialized Microbiology.
- The new-generation clinical microbiology laboratory concentrates on molecular, serological and immunological diagnostic tests for all infectious diseases besides the routine cultures.
- In addition, the microbiology laboratory plays an important function - controlling hospital care associated infections. It also provides consultative services for the clinical staff and physicians of the hospital and information to all the support staff.
Kothari Laboratory Services include:
- General Histopathology and Cytopathology including FNAC
- Automated Biochemistry including Immunoassay and Point of care Tests for rapid diagnosis
- Automated Haematology Laboratory including Bone Marrow Studies
- Clinical Microbiology
- Clinical Pathology
Quality control and quality assurance comprises an integral part of the services provided by the Laboratory Clinic.
Competency assessment ensures that our employees are competent to perform laboratory testing and report accurate, relevant and timely results.
The Laboratory is engaged in external Quality Assessment Programs in all subunits to ensure that the results delivered are in keeping with and comparable with international standards of our peers.
The laboratory provides laboratory testing for all the inpatients and outpatients. It works on a hospital-wide information system for ordering and reporting laboratory tests.
A key feature of the laboratory services is a hospital-wide system based process flow. Using this system, the laboratory accepts samples safely and securely with negligible pre-analytic errors.
The Biochemistry and Immunology Laboratory at Kothari Medical Centre is one of the largest state-of-the-art laboratories in Eastern India. The department conducts numerous routine and highly advanced tests on a daily basis.
The department consists of both specialized and diversified areas like Biochemistry, Immunology, Hematology, clinical pathology, Histopathology, Cytology and Microbiology. It offers a full array of laboratory services, provided by a team of highly skilled technical staff under the supervision of the Laboratory Director. It aims to deliver excellent, cost-effective and evidence-based patient care, within a clinically relevant turnaround time.
The Haematology Laboratory is a state-of-the-art laboratory equipped with fully automated machines with latest technology.
It has two fully automated 5-part differential cell counters for reporting routine blood counts, fully automated coagulation analyzers for bleeding and clotting disorders.
This department deals with tissue and specimen analysis which provides the final disease diagnosis and helps the physician/surgeon define an effective treatment plan for the patient.